South Africa offers incredible value at the moment, so we’ve picked out our favourite experiences below. If you’d like a bespoke tour, please do talk to us about the various options, ranging from customising a suggested itinerary to building something completely new.
Cable & Grain Safaris covers the best of Southern and East Africa in exquisite detail, and our consultants are intimately familiar with the industry. Based in Cape Town, South Africa, we are your ‘ear on the ground’. Save yourself weeks of research with a quick chat. You dream it, we make it happen!
Here are the hottest tours of South Africa in 2017
We also offer tours to the Great Migration, Ngorongoro & Serengeti, the Okavango Delta, trekking for gorillas and chimpanzees, tracking rhino in the Namib desert, and a whole lot more.
Two of South Africa’s best destinations in one spectacular week of culture, food, fun and wildlife. Enjoy the coastal beauty of Cape Town with Table Mountain as a backdrop, before a luxurious retreat in a tranquil wilderness with unparalleled Big 5 game viewing.
There are few destinations on the African continent as well known as Cape Town, with Table Mountain as a backdrop, and the cool waters of the Atlantic crashing onto the rocky shore. The spring flowers of the West Coast, the vibrant Winelands, and the Whale Coast offer delightful excursions.
This could only be topped by the epic wilderness of the Kruger National Park, which offers some of the best game viewing you can have. Elephant Plans offers elegance, luxury, and a particularly high likelihood of seeing the elusive leopard, as well as the rest of the Big 5.
- 3 nights at Cape Grace. This charming property is as much a part of the Cape Town landscape as the mountain itself. Cape Grace offers superb accommodation in one of the most central locations, in the heart of the V&A Waterfront marina.
- 3 nights at Elephant Plains. Situated in the renowned Sabi Sand Game Reserve, you will experience some of the best game viewing available with expert rangers, and and lavish comfort at the lodge. This area is known for incredible wildlife density and an especially good chance of seeing the elusive leopard.
Get high, get low, get wet, get wild. For centuries, the African continent has challenged adventurers. Kruger Park hiking safari, skydiving, shark diving, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, bungee jumping, and good wine, food and culture. Take on the greatest adventure of your life.
This tour drops you right into it. You start off in the wilderness of the infamous Kruger National Park. This is real Big 5 territory, where lion and elephant rule, and you’ll be hiking through it.
Next, you’re climbing Table Mountain. You can dive with the seals or the sharks, skydive or paraglide. Mountain bike through the Winelands, sandboard the dunes or simply taking in the scenery, food and culture. We’ll work with the weather and your preferences to keep the adrenaline flowing.
Finally, you’ll be whisked off to the majestic Victoria Falls, home of the thundering bungee. Here you can relax on a whitewater raft or on a scenic flight.
- 4 nights at Rhino Walking Safaris in the Kruger National Park. Experience incredible intimacy with the Big 5 while totally vulnerable on foot. Your expert rangers will keep you safe and teach you how to navigate the wilderness respectfully as an equal with the gentle giants of the bush.
- 5 nights at Cape Grace in Cape Town - daily adventure activity included. Dive, climb, hike, bike, and take in the sights, scenery, food and wine. This picturesque location in the heart of the V&A Waterfront marina offers sumptuous comforts to help you unwind after a hard day in the outdoors, and has one of the best whisky bars in the country.
- 3 nights at Royal Chundu in Victoria Falls. Intimately secluded on the banks of the mighty Zambezi River, slightly upstream of the thundering Victoria Falls, Royal Chundu offers private channels to explore at your delight, and easy access to all the wild adventures of the famous Falls.
Take a swing at three of South Africa’s best golf destinations and most beautiful locations where hazards on the course may include Big 5 wildlife. Enjoy the coastal and mountainous magnificence of Cape Town and the Garden Route, experiencing the utmost luxury and cuisine along the way.
Play Legend Golf & Safari’s Signature Course, where each hole was designed by a world golfing legend, and optional Extreme 19th. See the Big 5, then dodge them on the fairway. Next up, similarly wild, is Leopard Creek’s world class course. Finally, test your limits on Fancourt’s Links. Afterwards, soak up Cape Town’s scenic, culinary and cultural delights.
At Legend Golf & Safari, and at Leopard Creek, spectacular Big 5 safari activities are included, while at Fancourt a range of Garden Route leisure options are on offer as well.
- 3 nights at Hanglip Mountain Lodge in the Entabeni Game Reserve. Play the “world-in-one” Signature Course at Legend Golf & Safari Resort, where each hole was designed by a world golfing legend and wildlife roams the fairway. Try the optional Extreme 19th, the longest Par 3 in the world, or the 10-Hole Par 3 Tribute course.
This price includes: 1 round of golf on Signature Course (one day), 1 round of golf on 10-Hole Tribute Course (half day) and one safari activity for golfers. Non-golfers are offered two daily safari activities.
- 3 nights at Jock Safari Lodge in the Kruger National Park. Spend your nights within the Big 5 Kruger National Park, and play at Leopard Creek golf course, designed by Gary Player and Jack Niklaus. The 505 meter Par 5 13-th is particularly memorable, with the edge of the green perched over the Crocodile River. Safari activities included.
This price includes: 1 round of golf on Leopard Creek (one day) and two safari activities (one day). Non-golfers are offered two daily safari activities.
- 4 nights at Fancourt Golf Estate in the Garden Route. Play The Links, Montagu, and Outeniqua golf courses, all designed by Gary Player. The Links course is famed for its technical challenge, and often rated as the no. 1 course in South Africa. Various excursions to the Garden Route are available.
This price includes: 1 round of golf on Links, Montagu, and Outeniqua (3 days total). A large selection of day outings are available to non-golfers, for your account.
- 3 nights at Cape Grace in Cape Town. Cape Town is regularly voted one of the best tourist destinations in the world with its beautiful natural attractions, historic landmarks, and diverse cuisine. Cape Grace offers superb luxury at the heart of the popular V&A Waterfront Marina.
Several of South Africa’s Top 10 golf courses are nearby, such as Arabella in the Overberg, Steenberg in Cape Town and Pearl Valley in the Winelands.
Safari, scenic, and cultural activities are available for non-golfers at all destinations.
Combine two of South Africa’s most famous destinations in one luxurious week of romance, intimacy, scenery, sumptuous service and incredible experiences. A few golden moments under the African sun with the gentle beasts of the bushveld will be the perfect start to your new adventure together.
Londolozi Private Game Reserve sets the gold standard for wildlife viewing and superlative dining, while 26 Sunset Villa offers some of the most breathtaking views in Cape Town. This combination offers the pinnacle of Southern African hospitality.
With some of the best service in Africa, you will be treated, pampered, and delighted while the two of you enjoy each other anew on the first steps of the greatest adventure of your lives.
- 3 nights at Londolozi Founders Camp in the Kruger National Park. Londolozi was the first Relais & Chateaux game reserve in Africa, and Founder’s Camp offers an idyllic retreat from its riverside location. The reserve offers unrivalled Big 5 game viewing and traditional full-board luxury.
- 3 nights at 26 Sunset Villa in Cape Town. This barefoot luxury offering is sumptuous but relaxing, providing the ultimate holiday ambiance with sweeping views over ocean rocks and beautiful sunsets, as well as a perfectly located base for exploring all the scenic magic and culture of the Cape.
The rich salts of the Atlantic and the moist soils of the Cape of Storms create a complex terroir that leaves a rich mark on the palate. Explore the very best gastronomy and viticulture of the South Africa, and the accompanying scenic tour de force, and then savour a world class Singita Lebombo safari.
From the verdant mountain slopes of culinary Cape Town to the heart of the African bush, this trip blends delicious degustation with sights and landscapes worthy of Monet... truly a safari for tongue and cheek.
From the most renowned names in hospitality, gastronomy and viticulture in the Cape to a safari experience unlike any other in Africa, this tour is highlight after highlight. As packaged, it includes 12 nights of world-class food and wine and combines the most breathtaking scenic experiences in South Africa. However, taste is paramount, so talk to us about adapting the tour for your palate.
- 3 Nights at Ellerman House in Cape Town. Ellerman House, a Relais & Châteaux hotel, takes wine very seriously with their 7,500-strong collection of South African wines, including rare and special releases. Many can be tried by the glass without compromising on quality thanks to the Le Verre de Vin preservation system. Experience the vibrant recipes of Chef Veronica Canha-Hibbert and peruse the interactive Wine Gallery. Also visit The Test Kitchen by Luke Dale-Roberts,chosen as The Best Restaurant in Africa 2016.
- 2 Nights at Birkenhead House in Hermanus. Poised dramatically on a cliff, Birkenhead House offers unparalleled views of the Whale Coast. Explore the beach while foraging for edible fynbos species under the supervision of Chef Ziyaad Browne. Later, the ingredients you selected will be incorporated into a five-course dinner paired with wines from the nearby Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. Chefs Ziyaad and Pinkie will also take you mussel-picking, and then provide a “Master Class” on how to cook them over an open fire.
- 3 Nights at Delaire Graff Estate in Franschhoek. This majestic mountainous Winelands setting is at the forefront of culinary evolution, with Relais & Chateaux status. Delaire Graff Estate offers everything you need to sample one of the most scenic and tasty regions of the country. Also visit The Tasting Room by Leeu Collection, featured on the San Pellegrino Top 50 Best Restaurants Awards list for eleven years, where Margot Janse stages her creations.
- 4 Nights at Singita Lebombo in the Sabi Sands Private Game Reserve. Located in one of the best private wildlife concessions in Southern Africa, Singita Lebombo offers an unrivalled all-inclusive experience. On-site Singita Premier Wine is one of the most influential collectors in the country, and private tastings can be held in each individual lodge’s cellar. This is one of the best places in the world to see the elusive leopard.
Experience incredible intimacy with wildlife in a Big 5 game reserve on a horseback safari, followed by a relaxing week in Cape Town and the serene Cape Winelands. This tour offers some of the most scenic and interesting horseriding available, as well as the renowned hospitality and comfort that we pride ourselves on.
The African wilderness has called to adventurers for centuries, and many lifetimes have been spent trying to unearth its secrets. Horseback is simply the best way possible to explore the bush, because the wildlife treats you as an equal rather than being afraid of you.
After this incredible riding experience, we take you to Cape Town to unwind in one of the most interesting cities on the continent, and then into the scenic Winelands - one of the prettiest parts of a beautiful city.
- 5 Nights in the Big 5 Karongwe Game Reserve. Spend 4 nights in a riverside tented camp riding out into the wilderness area twice a day, and one night sleeping out under the stars on top of the highest point in the reserve – Beacon Rock. The horseback safari caters for a maximum of 8 experienced riders.
- 4 Nights at Cape Grace in Cape Town. Cape Town is regularly voted one of the best tourist destinations in the world with its beautiful natural attractions, historic landmarks, and diverse cuisine. Cape Grace offers superb luxury at the heart of the city in the popular V&A Waterfront Marina.
- 3 Nights at Clouds Estate in the Cape Winelands. Clouds Estate is a working wine farm showcasing spectacular views of the vineyards and garden in the foreground with the Drakenstein mountains as a backdrop. Explore the diversity of the Winelands with tours catered to your taste, or even horseback wine-tasting excursions.
We understand that booking a safari can be a lot of work. We specialise in making trips to your specification, so take this list as inspiration and then start the conversation with us. You tell us what you’d love to see, and we do all the work to make it happen, shuffling lodges and dates so that you spend as much time as possible in the bush and having a great time, instead of laid over at an airport hotel or at a boring halfway point.